A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Small Wording, Big Implication

This is another one of those "little issue/big issue" things that depends on which side of the fence you sit.

It involves a small phrase buried in a statement by President Bush regarding the Dubai port deal, and I think it's pretty clear that the Left will be up in arms about it while the Right says "What? It means NOTHING!". I think it's also pretty clear that had Clinton used the same phrase, the reactions would have been the same with the roles reversed.

Given, however, my impression of this President, I think it is a slip of the tongue which probably speaks volumes as to his view of the world.

The phrase is "my government". (link here) It was said in the following sentence: "The more people learn about the transaction that has been scrutinized and approved by my government the more they will be comforted that our ports will be secure."

It's not worth making a federal case over, but it is worth noting because it is emblematic of how it appears President Bush views the power in this country. Not "my Administration" or "my cabinet", but "my government", as though rather than being at the head of one of the three supposedly equal branches of our federal government, he views himself as sitting atop the entire federal government.

If you don't agree that he feels this way, then you will likely not have any issue with the use of the words "my government". But you will understand why those of us who perceive that Bush seems to view checks and balances as unconstitutional impediments on his executive power might be a little bit more concerned about the world view behind the words.

In my view, in terms of Bush quotes, this goes not in the pile of "misunderestimations" and "subliminables", but in the same pile as "Stop throwing the Constitution in my face. It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!" (link here).

Liam.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I heard the words "my government" from the President it reminded me of the many times I have used the term, sometimes in exasperation such as when I have said "MY GOVERNMENT DID THAT!!!!" or when I have said with pride that "MY GOVERNMENT DID THAT!!!". I know now from hearing and reading about this particular subject that the Marines, Army,Airforce,and Navy all signed off on this particular deal before it was done. Also involved was the Commerce Dept and the State Dept. They also signed off on the agreement but their weight is not as great as the armed services because they are extremely political and bow to the view of the President.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Obviously, we may never know, but that wasn't the impression I got on hearing him say those words.

I think my biggest surprise in the whole unfolding issue was Scott McClellan saying Bush first learned of the deal from news reports.

Yep, he was vociferously defending a decision he had not even been involved in.

I am still a bit concerned by reports that although there were some extra security measures added to the deal, that there were also some routine ones omitted.

We'll have to see how it goes. I still think it sounds a little hinky.

I heard a self-identified longshoreman on a radio show today say that port security is far more lax under the Bush administration than it used to be. According to this person, prior to Bush, they (the longshoremen) opened every container that came in, and now the security is largely randomly chosen scans by DHS personnel using equipment that would pick up radiological stuff but not plastic explosives.

However, this was one person on the radio, so without additional sourcing, who knows?

Liam.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:57:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education