A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Scott McClellan Speaks

And finally for tonight (although I have several other things I’d like to write as well, when I’m less tired), some reported quotes from former Bush Administration White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan’s book, officially to be published next Monday. These are from Politico.com, and I think they speak volumes, so I shall report them and not add a whole lot of my own text.

  • On Hurricane Katrina: “One of the worst disasters in our nation’s history became one of the biggest disasters in Bush’s presidency. Katrina and the botched federal response to it would largely come to define Bush’s second term. And the perception of this catastrophe was made worse by previous decisions President Bush had made, including, first and foremost, the failure to be open and forthright on Iraq and rushing to war with inadequate planning and preparation for its aftermath.”

  • “I still like and admire President Bush, but he and his advisers confused the propaganda campaign with the high level of candor and honesty so fundamentally needed to build and then sustain public support during a time of war. … In this regard, he was terribly ill-served by his top advisers, especially those involved directly in national security.”

  • On the Valerie Plame issue: “I had allowed myself to be deceived into unknowingly passing along a falsehood. It would ultimately prove fatal to my ability to serve the president effectively. I didn’t learn that what I’d said was untrue until the media began to figure it out almost two years later.

    “Neither, I believe, did President Bush. He, too, had been deceived and therefore became unwittingly involved in deceiving me. But the top White House officials who knew the truth — including Rove, Libby and possibly Vice President Cheney — allowed me, even encouraged me, to repeat a lie.”

  • “There is only one moment during the leak episode that I am reluctant to discuss. It was in 2005, during a time when attention was focusing on Rove and Libby, and it sticks vividly in my mind. … Following [a meeting in Chief of Staff Andy Card’s office], … Scooter Libby was walking to the entryway as he prepared to depart when Karl turned to get his attention. ‘You have time to visit?’ Karl asked. ‘Yeah,’ replied Libby.

    “I have no idea what they discussed, but it seemed suspicious for these two, whom I had never noticed spending any one-on-one time together, to go behind closed doors and visit privately. … At least one of them, Rove, it was publicly known at the time, had at best misled me by not sharing relevant information, and credible rumors were spreading that the other, Libby, had done at least as much. …

    “The confidential meeting also occurred at a moment when I was being battered by the press for publicly vouching for the two by claiming they were not involved in leaking Plame’s identity, when recently revealed information was now indicating otherwise. … I don’t know what they discussed, but what would any knowledgeable person reasonably and logically conclude was the topic? Like the whole truth of people’s involvement, we will likely never know with any degree of confidence.”

  • On Iraq: “If anything, the national press corps was probably too deferential to the White House and to the administration in regard to the most important decision facing the nation during my years in Washington, the choice over whether to go to war in Iraq.

    “The collapse of the administration’s rationales for war, which became apparent months after our invasion, should never have come as such a surprise. … In this case, the ‘liberal media’ didn’t live up to its reputation. If it had, the country would have been better served.”

(Thanks again to Politico.com, from which most of this is directly copied).

Liam.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

The one quote with which I disagree with McClellan here is his stated belief that Bush was just as misled by Libby and Rove as he was, regarding their involvement with the Plame affair.

Bush is known to have something of a temper and to view disloyalty with the same eye one might view treason.

And so if he was, in fact, misled about Libby & Rove's involvement, I don't believe he would have rewarded that disloyalty with a commutation of sentence, certainly not an unprecedented commutation before the courts were even done with the case.

No, I think that although McClellan may be giving the President the benefit of the doubt here, I believe it's far more likely that Bush was in on the cover up, and possibly the initial leak. To the extent that he didn't know the details, it was most likely because he wanted plausible deniability, rather than that he was truly an innocent duped by his people.

Liam.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:19:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education