A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Communication

No one listens. No one hears. No one wants to hear any but the message that they agree with, and then everyone points the finger at the other guy as the reason why we’re a divided nation.

Recently, John McCain caused a minor stir in the liberal blogs with a statement that has been widely, and in my opinion, incorrectly, categorized as “it doesn’t matter when we bring the troops home from Iraq”. Keith Olbermann, whom I generally respect, did one of his “Special Comments” on the topic, beginning by “providing the context” for the Senator’s statement to correct accusations that the statement was taken out of said context, but even when putting it in context, Olbermann loses a subtlety of meaning that turns a reasonable, if possibly incorrect, statement into an absurdity that can’t help but anger those who hear it.

The full context:

Matt Lauer: A lot of people now say the surge is working.

McCain: Anyone who knows the facts on the ground say [SIC] that.

Lauer: If it’s working, Senator, do you now have a better estimate of when American forces can come home from Iraq?

McCain: No, but that’s not too important. What’s important is the casualties in Iraq.


To me, it seems far more likely that McCain was trying to say that what isn’t too important is that he doesn’t know when the troops will be coming home. That’s significantly different than that it’s not too important when those troops will come home.

Now, I may disagree with the Senator as to what the best method of keeping American soldiers safe might be, and I may not agree that it is even possible to make Iraq a safe and welcoming place for our troops to be, so that having troops there for as long as we’ve had them in Japan, Germany and South Korea is no more hazardous a posting than at an American military base. And those are worthy debates to have.

But if you believe, as Senator McCain clearly believes, that it is possible to transform Iraq into this safe haven, this beacon of stable freedom in an otherwise unstable region, then he’s right, it really doesn’t matter whether he knows the specific date that he’ll have the troops home, it matters a lot more that we get cracking on making the troops who do remain there safer.

But I’ve wandered around the Internet discussing this, mentioning that if we can’t be bothered to try to understand what an opponent is actually saying and what he actually means before we take issue with it, can we really claim the moral high ground when the neoconservatives hear “we hate America” or “we don’t support the troops” when we give voice to our very reasonable concerns about the state of our nation?

And yet I can’t find anyone out there who doesn’t immediately begin responding to me as though I were some kind of Republican flak, trolling around spreading pro-Administration talking points.

We really can’t have an honest debate in this country, because instead of listening to what the other guy says, most of us seem inclined to extrapolate what we think we’ve heard to an entire position that either makes the person a friend or a foe… and then we respond in kind.

And just to make my point personal, I’ll bet that the reactions of most people on reading this entry will fall into two distinct camps (at least, those who haven’t read enough of my other stuff to understand where I really fall):

Democrats and other progressives are even now shaking their heads and dismissing me as a right-wing hawk, bent on defending an unending stay in Iraq.

Those on the right side of the political spectrum will probably come away from this saying “Yeah, he’s right, those damn liberals never listen to what we say, and they wonder why there’s such a communication gap in this country.”

It almost makes me wonder why I bother. I’m not kidding when I say that my conservative acquaintances seem largely convinced that I’m the worst of tree-hugging, granola eating, free-love hippy liberals while those I know of a more liberal bent seem sure that I’m a closet Republican, secretly longing for another 4 or 8 years of Bush policies.

And that, dear friends, is why we have a communication gap in this country. When someone taking a middle-ground position can no longer be heard as a voice of reason or compromise, but must be heard by both sides as an extreme partisan one for the other, then BOTH sides have cotton in their ears and their minds stuck in “idle.”

Please, please, PLEASE engage the gears of your minds. THINK. CONSIDER. It is not “flip flopping” to be open to new and different information, and to be willing to change your position as your understanding of the facts grows.

Liam.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your comments on this.

My first thought, upon hearing McCain's words, was what an unfortunate choice of words for him. I felt kinda sorry for him, even though I wouldn't vote for him. I wasn't surprised that his words would come back to bite him in the butt.

But you've alluded to something: beware of the swing. By that I mean the swing of media and public opinion or perception. America is a pendulum, one in overdrive. It wasn't too long ago when the largely unquestioning media bought the Presidential drumroll messages of patriotism and war. Now look at us. Beware the swing of the public pendulum no matter what the direction it's swinging. That's why it's important to question the reporting as you've done. Your urging for us to think and consider what we're hearing is important. There should be more of such urging from others. Keep it up.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Thanks, Linda.

I agree wholeheartedly about the pendulum thing. It's why no matter how bad things got, I never bought into the Karl Rove / Tom Delay talk of a "permanent Republican majority". It's never going to happen.

If anything happens to either of the current two parties and they implode so badly that they are unable to win an election again, something new will emerge in its place, to either replace or be absorbed into one of the existing parties.

It happens for any number of reasons. It happens because something like 9/11 comes along and one party manages to convince you that they alone can keep you safe from a repeat. It happens because after a generation of one side, the rebelious next generation comes along and decides not to be their parents. It happens because nothing is ever so good that there isn't any dissatisfaction, and the longer one group is in power, the more that dissatisfaction is pointed in their direction.

The sad thing is, when things are going poorly, we vote out the incumbents because things are going poorly. But when things are going well, we find little, relatively meaningless things to worry about and then vote out the incumbents because of those little things.

I mean, let's face it, past generations had to deal with true privation, insufficient food to eat or clothing to wear. Insufficient protection for the workers against unscrupulous company owners. And in those times, would you really have made any political hay out of flag burning amendments or whether homosexuals could marry each other? No.

… This is a good topic for a separate post, not a comment, so I think perhaps I’ll write that up, if I don’t decide to fall asleep in the next few minutes. (If you’re wondering why I haven’t already chosen to do so, look next week sometime when I post another entry on the humor blog, explaining just exactly how horrible the hotel room my family and I are staying in tonight is).

Liam.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:48:00 PM

 
Blogger Ross said...

For what it's worth, I (firmly in the granola camp, as everyone knows) don't see you as a hawk in dove's plumage. I've read too many of your posts and seen how hard you try to really understand each side's take on every issue. You've never delivered a bag of dog poop, at least not on this blog.

Also, for whatever little it's worth, I really like granola, even apart from its Democratic connotations. I think granola has an undeserved reputation, and if people would just try it, at least 25% might like it. Unfortunately, they'd have to stop using it as a label, but fortunately there are plenty of other epithets available.

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Thanks, Ross. :-)

I also like granola. I also know quite a few hippies who are much safer about their sexual exploits than the saying goes. And although I have a fondness for certain trees, the closest I've come to hugging one was when, as a child, I climbed it.

But I digress. A bit of granola in the morning yogurt can be just the thing to start the day off right, so I guess in that sense, the "granola eating" part of the description fits pretty well. :-)

Thanks for stopping in, as always!

Liam.

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:08:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education