A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

McCain Makes Me Angry

On my drive home, I was listening to NPR, and they had a clip of a John McCain event that made me want to reach through the radio, grab him by the neck and bank his head against a wall to try to bang some sense in to him.

The question that was asked was "Knowing what we know today, would you still vote to authorize the war in Iraq?" and he said (approximately) "Y'know, a world without Saddam Hussein is safer. What do you think Saddam Hussein would be doing with $130/barrel oil? He'd be making good on his stated intentions to develop nuclear and biological weapons."

Which is wrong on SO many fronts.

First, who says oil would be at $130/barrel if we hadn't gone to war in Iraq? If we'd actually stayed full force in Afghanistan, gotten bin Laden, stabilized the country and gotten the heck out, would oil today still be $130/barrel?

Second, THERE WERE NO WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION FOUND! He was obeying the U.N. mandate, there's no reason to think he was planning on stopping any time soon. The "stated goal" was from much earlier, it's kind of like suggesting that if I won the lottery, I'd be "training for his stated goal to be a fireman" because when I was a child I said "I wanna be a fireman when I grow up".

Ludicrousy. Absolute ludicrousy. Is this ALL he has?

(Yes, I believe I may have made up the term "ludicrousy", but I don't care).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education