A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Enough Already

At what point do people look at the Republican party and Fox News and say "Enough"? Enough lies about the President. Enough false outrage about death panels. Enough pretending that a birth certificate validated by a state isn't sufficient. Enough fear-mongering that encouraging speeches to children as given by Presidents throughout my life time are unprecedented indoctrinations of our youth.

How long until all of their credibility is gone?

I was talking with my Mother this morning, and she asked me for my opinion on some political topics, because she considered me fair minded, and I had to tell her that I'm afraid I'm not any more.

Not because I don't want to be, but because there are only so many times you can hear something and find it to be a lie before you stop hearing it. And the Right Wing Machine has cried wolf so many times now, and demonstrably so, that I'm afraid if Obama DID do something heinous and horrible, it would take extraordinary proof for me to believe it.

And it's not that I'm some huge partisan Democrat, I never have been. It's that in a bit over 7 months of a Presidency, I've already seen so many lies told about this President that I'm beginning to numb to them.

The first few, I investigated carefully. The next few, it took significantly less time for me to become convinced that the accusers were lying.

I pray they day doesn't come when there will be something to it, and I'll just ignore it as the boy is eaten by the wolf. Except that in the story, it is the boy who lied who ends up eaten. In this modern crying of wolf, the boy who lies won't be the boy who dies, the boy who dies may be my country.

And I can only hope and pray that Obama is something close to the man his supporters believe him to be, something significantly more than the last 8 years have given us.

Because I, for one, have had enough of the lies, the liars, and the people who (in some cases through no fault of their own) trust the liars.

ENOUGH!

1 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

I posted this on my Facebook, and in response to someone's comment, followed up with this:

It's just making me literally sick to my stomach. Of course, the fact that I'm lying here with a sore throat and aches means that the stomach ache may not ENTIRELY be lies, exaggerations and the playing of politics, but damn it, how is it possible that so many people of good faith have bought into the lying machine?

Damn it all, agree with me, disagree with me, but STOP quoting at me the bogus, lying talking points. I've had some really good debates with honest people who disagree with me. Two on here that I've only met on Facebook. My brother in law. Others.

But I've had so many OTHER debates with people that were just one lie after another, and I think the people spouting them actually believed them. Hell, I heard, third hand, that my own SISTER believes a lot of them, and she's one of the smarter people I know!

I'll tell you what, when people that smart can be taken in by constant repetition and a consistant message, I wonder of what practice use is intelligence?

Maybe it's time we, as a nation, went back to banging rocks together, pooping in the woods and running scared whenever a bear or coyote comes sniffing around.

(I'm sure it sounds like I'm just posturing and that my real complaint is people not agreeing with me, but cross my heart I don't mind honest philosophical differences. I'll take a well thought out opposing viewpoint over a "ditto head" on my side any say of the week.)

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:04:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education