A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

A Farewell

To My Poor Little Lost Child,

It's hard to lose a child. It's easier when the child is not yet any larger than a kidney bean, but it's still hard. Hard to know that all of your potential was there, and it will never come to be.

Last month, your mother and I conceived you. We have wanted to have you since getting married, to join your brother Andrew and your sisters Caitlyn, Dagny and Darby. We looked forward to all of the firsts your little life would bring us. We looked forward to hearing your heartbeat and feeling your squirms. We looked forward to learning your gender and to your eventual emergence into the world. We knew from experience that we would learn as much from you as we taught you, seeing the world anew through your eyes.

Would your sister Caitlyn (as eldest sister) have risen to the occasion and taken on a mothering role, wishing to graduate from nurturing baby dolls to nurturing her baby sibling? Would your brother Andrew have come to welcome you into the family, even had you presented as female, further diluting the influence of the male gene in our household? Would your sisters Dagny and Darby have welcomed yet another new sibling into their family, younger this time rather than older?

We had talked about your name, and had come to call you Liam (a name I've always loved, since before I chose to take it for my nom de plume), and discussed "Lea" as an alternate, had you chosen to present as female.

What joy we felt when learning that you were growing within your mother. What a difference one day makes, one day full of hope and joy for your future, the next for whatever defect of your genetic structure or failure of your implantation, to know that you will not be joining our family.

Liam (or Lea), we will try again. We will try to have your brother or sister, and raise him or her with your name. We wish you had seen fit to join us this time.

Love,
Dad.

Copyright (c) February 27, 2005 by Liam Johnson. http://www.liamjohnson.net

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a touching tribute, Daddio.
Reading this, I had this real weird wish that I was being born into a world with a father who loves the name Liam and a mother who loves him. Strange, huh? So compelling was your tribute. So sorry for your loss, but I can't wait to hear all about the next little brother or sister who will carry on these names, should it happen. Sorry for your loss. Wish you and your wife all the best.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:06:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liam,

You have brought such joy to the cpap world with your humorous postings. I am so sorry that you and your wife had to go through this. You'll be in my thoughts.

Jeanne (nenetx2004)

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:55:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So's you know, I gave a copy of your tribute (yes, I included the copyright) to my co-worker Diane. She had gone through the same thing and was interested in reading your letter to your unborn child.

I brought the article in and left it with Diane. Later, she walked past my desk, smiled, and pointed a finger at me. "Now look what you've done! That made me cry!" she said. "I just can't take that kind of thing any more," and stormed off in the direction of the Ladies Room. Ha!

She was just having fun with me, but she meant it. Later she told me how much she appreciated your story. "Tell him it made me cry," she smiled.

Just thought you'd like to know how your writing can affect people, in good ways.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 5:40:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liam,

My brother also a NewHampshire-ite and his wife lost triplets about 8 years ago, in a sadly similar way. He's also a techie, in Nashua.

sending you best wishes,

BuffaloAl

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

For what it's worth, Janet is now almost 8 weeks pregnant. We lost the first one at 4 weeks plus three days.

The full first trimester is apparently dangerous, but the risk drops lower and lower with each passing day, and we've reached the point of being hopeful again.

I post this only so anyone who is concerned knows that life goes on, and hopefully this time we'll be successful.

Liam.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:28:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education