A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Full Of Yourself Much?

Today's rant is about people who think way too much of themselves. I want to rant about this for a bit because of two news stories I saw tonight.

("News" is kind of strong. I was working with the television on, not really paying attention to what was on, and at some point the show I'd been sort of watching ended and I found myself watching some show with a name like "Inside Hollywood" hosted by Pat O'Brien. I usually avoid these sorts of shows which exist solely to give a big hand job to the egos of celebrities).

Anyway, the first story was one I've heard reported in the "regular" news in the last few days as well. Apparently a batch of people have their panties in a twist over Oprah Winfrey's being turned away from a designer purse store named "Hermes". The headlines all make this out to be some sort of huge racist event, Oprah is quoted as describing it as humiliating, further implying race was involved.

But let's break it down for a moment: This particular store's hours indicate that it closes at 6:30. Oprah arrived at the door at 6:45. Many is the time that I've wanted to go to one store or another, arrived at the door only to find that the store I thought closed at (for example) 7 actually closed at 6. I've missed entry by 5 minutes. Heck, I've gotten to stores five minues BEFORE they were supposed to close and been told that they were already closing and I should come back another day.

But because I'm a white guy, it never occurred to me to immediately jump to the conclusion of bias. But hey, how DARE they close at their posted closing time? Don't they realize who I am?

While it may be true that these high-end shops sometimes make exceptions and let the uber-famous in after normal hours, that in and of itself is offensive, that we would treat celebrities as somehow worth more than "regular folk".

Oh, and within this little rant, let me also rant at Gayle King, self-described friend of Oprah, who was present with Oprah at the time. SHE'S the one who is making all of the statements. SHE'S the one that every article on this event is quoting, every sleazy TV newsmagazine (or at least the one I saw) is interviewing. This woman has found an issue that gets her face on television, and from my view, she's milking it for all it is worth.

But really, is it possible that maybe, just maybe, the store really was (as they claim) preparing "a private public relations event", and so was forced to close the store on time? If I showed up after hours, they'd look at me like I was a soiled handkerchief, turn up their noses and gesture snootily at the sign displaying their hours. That they may occasionally make an exception for Oprah is reason for her to get upset when, on this occasion, they chose not to? Get over yourself.



This leads me to the second interview. This time, it was Ed Klein, author of a book called "The Truth About Hillary". I have not read this book, but what I'm hearing makes it sound like a typical hatchet job, filled with truths, half-truths, near-truths and outright fabrications with little differentiation between. In otherwords, it should be a smashing success, something every author hopes for. It has been widely quoted by the right wing media, largely condemned by the left, and more or less ignored for the sensationalistic piece of trash that it apparently is by the unbiased media.

However, one thing seems to be true: Neither Bill nor Hillary Clinton has commented on the book. Neither has fallen to the level of even recognizing it. This was reported by a jovial O'Brien, and seems also to be true based on some quick searches. I can't find any record of a response (if you can, feel free to correct me).

However, in this interview, Mr. Klein said something about how "Bill and Hillary are doing everything in their power to shut me down, to tarnish my reputation," then smirks, looks at the camera and says "But it isn't working." (Quote is from memory, so it is NOT an exact quote)

If this is the sort of fact checking Mr. Klein used in his book, I can see why people would question it's veracity. Of COURSE you want people to think they're trying to shut you down. You're selling a salatious tomb about a politically divisive figure. You know that by writing this book, you're pretty much guaranteeing yourself large sales and a fat paycheck. Anything you can do to fan the flames, make this look like a bigger scandal than it is translates into higher sales numbers for your book.

But before you start talking about how someone is denouncing you and trying to shut you down, it's probably a good idea that they actually BE denouncing you and trying to shut you down, or else you just look like you're desperate to build controversy. And if you're willing to sink to that level to sell your book, why should we believe that you wouldn't also sink to reporting "facts" from questionable sources?

You too, Sir, need to get over yourself.

Copyright (c) June 25, 2005 by Liam Johnson. http://www.liamjohnson.net

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!

Monday, June 27, 2005 9:21:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education