A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Debate part two

OK, now that I got the official bit out of the way, some impressions.

I liked the debate format, it's the closest thing we've had to an honest debate in years. Both candidates are to be applauded for agreeing to a give-and-take format that allowed them to pose questions to each other, and also for not abusing that overmuch by interrupting each other.

I thought it was telling, I'm just not sure of what, that McCain (who asked for this style of meeting when he asked for a series of "town meeting" campaign events) almost never looked directly at Senator Obama, and referred to him in the third person, as though he were not in the room. When McCain was speaking, it was "Senator Obama wants this" or "My opponent wants that".

Obama on the other hand stayed truer to the proposed format, speaking TO Senator McCain. "John, you know that's not true", "John, you said (x) and you were wrong", and he looked at McCain when he was speaking to/about him.

To me, that looked more Presidential. McCain tried to sow seeds of doubt about Obama's abilities by repeating some version of the phrase "Senator Obama doesn't get it" over and over, but Obama looked more comfortable. He looked prepared to take challengers head on, while McCain looked like he'd rather have applied that "don't talk to them until they already agree with you" tactic on Obama.

McCain also seemed to rely on his stump speech line and his carefully packaged image far more than Obama. I got home a little bit late, and the first thing I heard when I turned it on was McCain using his stump speech laugh line about how he wasn't sure if the money to study the DNA of bears was a paternity or criminal matter, and he used the "I was never voted Miss Congeniality" line multiple times. He also brought up his war bona fides several times, while conveniently ignoring the facts that:

A) there is no evidence that he's any better a tactician or strategist than anyone else (he's only been directly involved in one war, we "lost" that one and he spent most of his time during it in a cell), and

B) there is still a lot of unanswered evidence that "war hero" McCain may actually have actively worked to cover up things that happened during his POW years, to the detriment of other POW/MIAs of that era, and

C) veterans groups continue to rate him very low, so while he claims he's the one who will support our vets the most, it doesn't seem they feel his history on the topic has been much to crow over.


I plan to re-watch the debate sometime this weekend, and I'll probably cover some more things as they come into my head, but I wanted to get these out there, while I was thinking about them.

Liam.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I too was wanting to read your comments (I'm sure there's more than 2 or 3).

Maybe it's because I'm pro-Obama and very much anti-McCain, but I feel Obama did better than even the spins indicated. I too want to watch the debate again. But I do remember that Obama was smart and clever in some of his responses to McCain, using McCain's own choices of words in interesting ways that showed the differences between the two candidates.

This was a highly-anticipated debate, significantly more so after the will-they-or-won't-they-debate issues of this past week. I believe many people were less interested in substance than how they reacted to one another, although I suspect more eyes were on McCain to see what he might say about his actions over the past week. Still others may have been watching to see if McCain may have really meant some of the things he's previously said. And others were likely looking to see if Obama would be stern enough in responding to McCain on issues.

And keep in mind, the Obama campaign had been criticized for not countering the McCain lies quickly and powerfully enough. I for one wondered if he would let McCain get away with lies during the debate and I think Obama countered them well.

I cringed a bit near the end when McCain brought up his prisoner days; I felt it better for him if he hadn't. And I cringed at his pronouncement about veterans, that he would "take care of them."

Obama came across more professional, calm yet focused, whereas McCain fidgeted and frowned, then smiled in that Bush-like way whenever called on a lie. Perhaps it's just my wishful thinking, but I'm hoping Americans are more drawn to the style of Obama as smart, un-impulsive, methodical and, most importantly, not like Bush.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Well... the good news is that polls of uncommitted voters seem to be showing a clear victory for Obama. According to the polls I've read, most of them seem to have numbers along these lines:

40% - Obama won the debate.
38% - It was a tie.
22% - McCain won the debate.

So it appears if there was any motion of uncommitted voters after this debate, it was towards Obama.

I got my first post-debate e-mails from the two campaigns (I'm on both mailing lists), and McCain's talks mostly about how he's heading back to DC to continue working on the financial crisis, "because that's what a leader does".

First off, what a good leader does is lets the experts hash out the problem and then come back and make recommendations, and then the leader chooses the option he wishes to implement and away they go. A leader does NOT rush in to a situation he has admitting to knowing little about and gum up the works.

But second, I would be much more likely to buy the "this is what leaders do" line if it came from someone talking ABOUT McCain, instead of from McCain himself. Because said about himself, it rings too closely to "I'm doing this because I desperately want to look like a leader. Look at me! I'm leading! I'm a leader!"

He's scrambling. He's throwing globs of mud at the wall hoping desperately that something will stick.

Thanks, as always, for stopping by!

Liam.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:46:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education