A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Hillary Defeats Bernie. Whoop-de-f***ing-doo.

I know who I'm voting for... but it's absolutely going to be holding my nose and voting.

First and foremost because I've been saying since the run-up to 2000 that dynastic, nepotistic Presidencies are a bad idea. Was bad when it was W, was bad when it was Jeb, is bad now that it's Hillary.

If the Republicans hadn't nominated a complete whack job, I might sit this one out. If they had actually nominated someone reasonable (which they haven't done since perhaps Bob Dole), I might even have voted that way.

As it is (warning, this is sort of Godwin's law, although hopefully you'll get my point), I keep coming back to the question someone asked me about Nazi Germany: How the hell did Hitler come to power? How did it happen? How many good people stood aside or ignored their personal concerns and supported the guy?

I'm not saying Trump is Hitler. I'm not saying I have any reason to believe he'd BE Hitler. I *AM* saying that we really don't know WHAT he'd do, and he's already shown a tendency to believe the rules don't apply to him and to believe that the President has way more dictatorial-level powers than it actually does... and in today's climate of inaction in the Congress, all it will take is someone with the force of personality to just do what he wants to do along with a Congress that couldn't cooperate long enough to tie their own shoes, and it doesn't really matter what the President is ALLOWED to do, it matters what he DOES.

So honestly, the only reason I'm willing to override my objection to the dynastic Presidency is because the alternative is SO terrible, and so potentially ruinous.

And by the way, can people PLEASE stop lecturing me on what I "have to do now"? I have very real concerns. Of course I'll do what's best for the country when it comes time to vote, but for right now, I just want to pretend it's OK for me to abstain from this one, because both major parties made TERRIBLE choices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education