A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

A Modest Proposal

Earlier this week, there was a scare in our Nation’s capital, during which the Capitol was evacuated. Specifically, everyone in the Capitol building and the White House was notified to evacuate, instructing them (according to one interview I saw on the television) to "Run, not walk, as far and as fast as you can". Is this really as far as we’ve come since 9/11? In almost four years, our terrorism preparedness can be summed up by the Monty Python movie about the Holy Grail: Run Away!

It is frightening to me that the best we can do to protect the main governing bodies of our country is to make sure that they have new Reeboks and a good time in the Boston Marathon. Let’s face it, if that plane had actually been carrying a terrorist threat (a nuclear, chemical or biological weapon or even just the intent to crash it into the Capitol, the White House or the Supreme Court), by the time the message had gotten to anyone, the threat would have been realized.

It is astounding to me, when airplanes routinely travel at 500 mph, and the Concorde traveled at well over 1000 mph, that the protection for our country’s capital is less than 16 miles of radius around the building. A 747 covers that distance in under 2 minutes. I’m sure we have a greater awareness of the planes in the area, but a plane destined for Washington National or Dulles could get mighty close before there was any indication that anything was wrong.

In the age of instantaneous information transfer, is there really any good reason for a centralized seat of government anymore? Would it not make more sense for our Senators and Representatives to remain in their home territories and meet electronically? You can’t tell me with the huge investment that we’re making in national security, we couldn’t come up with one heck of a networked holographic system, so that it could FEEL almost like business-as-usual.

How much harder would it be for a terrorist group to have to hit 50 states’ US congressional offices than to take out the bulk of our Congress in one fell swoop with a nuke during congressional session? I think Congress (particularly the Senate) is actually a much greater potential for disruption than the President. We’ve had Presidents assassinated before, and the country went on, because there is a clear order of succession. Thus, even if someone were to manage to take out the Pres, the VP and a large part of the Cabinet, there’s a clear, unquestionable awareness of whose hands immediately take up the reins of the governmental bridal, and there’s very little time when the ship of State has no hands on the wheel.

Congress, on the other hand, has no clear line of succession. I’ve done some looking, and the best I can determine, the rules of succession for a Senator or Congressman are determined state by state. That means that while in mere moments after a catastrophic event in our governance we should be able to determine who is the President, it might be weeks or months before we could figure out who now made up the Congress.

Look, Disney World had some pretty impressive holography going on in it’s Haunted House when I visited there as a child, more than a quarter century ago. Tell me we couldn’t set something up whereby people testifying before Congress could get exactly the same experience they get now, minus only the shaking of hands. There would be issues, certainly. One would be how to make sure the network was truly secure when Congress was discussing matters of a top secret nature. Another, how to handle the (comparatively minor) disruption if a terrorist attack took out the network, thus temporarily preventing the congressmen from meeting?

Our country is well set up. An attack on our World Trade Center and our Pentagon (and even our White House, had that part been successful) by terrorists was not even close to sufficient to shake our foundations. But why run the risk, when we clearly have the technology available to protect our country’s core?

(I'm open to counter arguments. This is an idea I've been kicking around for a while now, but as with all radical ideas, there is a good chance I've missed some very important reason why it would not be possible or a good idea, and if they exist, I'd love to hear them!)

Copyright (c) May 15, 2005 by Liam Johnson. http://www.liamjohnson.net

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But Liam,

Where would all the lobbyists go?
Hmmm?

.....Say, now wouldn't THIS be a bonus ..... lobbyists, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Great idea!

Sunday, May 15, 2005 6:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Ah yes, don't you just love spamming comments. The two deleted ones were from someone who wanted to tell you how to get free x rated web cams. (I've had people before ask what comments I deleted. I never delete anything of substance or meaning, just spam.

And thanks for the kinds words, Seo Guru!

Liam.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 7:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Linda,

I had considered listing "less easy access for lobbyists" as a bonus, but I'm not sure it would be. If a congressman's "office" is now entirely holographic, there's really no reason why the lobbyists couldn't still access them the same as before.

Heck, I'm sure the more successful (and better funded) lobbyists would have their own HOLO setups, so they would have EASIER access, not having to leave home or office...

Liam.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 7:07:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee Liam,
I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, those lobbyists would find a way. But the DC area would lose all that rental income.

Funny about your spam. I looked and saw there were 6 comments here, and was so impressed, until I saw your notice of the spamming. How rude, huh? If only we could spam back. ......

Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Ralph said...

Liam,
Does getting spammed suggest that you are getting big time. You clearly know how to get some discussing going on.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:40:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Boy, I hope so. More likely, it just means someone's spam-bot noticed my blog allowed open comments and decided to take advantage.

But I'd like nothing better than to have my blog hit the big time. Actually, I'd most prefer to have the HUMOR stuff hit the big time, I think I'm a better humorist than I am a pundit (plus, it requires a lot less actual fact checking).

Then again, that's probably not news. I don't know of too many bloggers who'd say "Damn, I hope no one finds this URL. I hate it when people actually read the stuff I take the time to post!".

Liam.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 10:22:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Liam, what an unusual name. Quite pleasant to the sound but the very first time I have heard it. I am M and I have been reading your blogs and rants and stories for a few weeks;along with the postings of Linda, Ralph, and this week, anonymous. I was interested in getting a taste of the meat of the matter before joining the feast.

First I must tell you and your friends, that your short stories are worthy of being published. Having read series of short story collections professionally published, I compare yours VERY worthy of being along side of them.

Now that these truths are out, let me be honest and say that I am Christian, white, southern male and hold true to all of the conservative beliefs that this implys. I do belong to the Republican Party because of the "party line" votes I see taking place in both houses of Congress. I look at all of the Democratic party line votes, and the Republican party line votes and I agree with MANY more of the Republican votes than the Democrats;so I am a registered Republican. The main trouble I have with the Republican party is the number of RINOs they have ie:Republicans in name only.

Now to your rant; I don't know if your idea about spreading out the elected officials will happen the way you describe it or not, but for sure with the accelerated pace of communications, something like it will surely be seen as the wave of the future. Cudos to your idea.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 11:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

W,

Thanks for the kind words about my writing.

The wonderful thing about our nation (as Ralph and I have discovered) is that intelligent people can have differing opinions. I can be difficult to sway from mine, but I am always interested to hear others, as long as we can remain polite (something Ralph almost always manages, and I... most of the time).

Welcome to the discussion. Based on the tone of your message, I think you'll be a fine addition to our dialog!

Oh, and "Liam" is the Irish nickname for William, rather as "Will" might be in the U.S.

Liam.

Monday, May 16, 2005 6:52:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Whoops, I just noticed, you said in your message you were M, but the comment said it was from W.

I'm sorry if I mis-named you in my reply.

Liam.

Monday, May 16, 2005 6:55:00 AM

 
Blogger Ralph said...

My mother tried to raise me to be polite.

Monday, May 16, 2005 11:38:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education