A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

30 Days

Some time back, a filmmaker named Morgan Spurlock made a movie called "Supersize Me", in which he spent 30 days eating all of his meals at McDonalds to see what the effect would be. I have not seen the movie, but I recall reading that he gained 25 lbs and had his cholesterol go through the roof and the like. Nothing overly surprising.

Anyway, Mr. Spurlock is back, extending the 30 day concept to a television program. This week's episode (airing on FX) should be seen by everyone in this country. Mr. Spurlock took a good old country boy (and faithful Christian) and had him spend 30 days living in Dearborn, MI (apparently the most dense population of Muslims in this country), living with a Muslim family under Muslim rules. He had to dress as a Muslim, follow all of their rituals, and generally walk a mile in their shoes, as they say.

The results were interesting. Every time I hear someone in America poopooing that Islam is a religion of peace, or equating Islam with terrorism, I cringe, and it was very interesting to watch the transformation in the West Virginia man over the 30 days.

It was also interesting some of the things I learned about Islam that I didn't know. For example, we refer to the "judeo-christian" religion in this country, and are all well aware that the two religions started as one, with Christians splitting off from the rest of the Jewish people over whether Jesus was the Messiah or merely a prophet. What I was NOT aware of was that Islam was another branch off of this same tree. The Islamic religion believes (as the Jewish religion does) that Jesus did exist, but they believe he was a prophet. A holy man, to be sure, just not the Messiah.

The point at which Islam split off from Judaism was with the prophet Muhammad.

So in a very real sense, all three religions pray to the same god, whether that god is called God, Jehovah or Allah. Certainly there are greater differences between them than there are between, say, Catholics and Presbyterians, but there are more similarities than most Americans are (I think) aware of. Certainly more than I was.

Everyone who equates Islam with evil (and I most definitely include the President and every single member of his administration) should watch this, and try to understand that the vast majority of Muslims are no more actively evil than the vast majority of Christians, and that both religions have their extremists.

Their lifestyle isn't for me, their rituals, their asceticism are more than I think I could handle. But then, there are Christian sects whose rituals and practices are not to my liking as well, and there are certainly aspects of the Jewish orthodox faith which I wouldn't deal well with. (For an example, ask an Orthodox Jew about Shabbat. I had an Orthodox Jewish roommate in college, and from sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday, the list of things he couldn't do (because they counted as "work" in the Orthodox Jewish faith) included things like turning on a light switch, cooking, or even putting out a fire.)

But I digress. I think in this country Muslims have sort of become the bogeyman religion. I'll admit that when I'm flying, the sight of a Muslim (or, for that matter, any out-of-the-ordinary person) getting on my flight makes me nervous(*). But with several million Muslims in this country and in the neighborhood of a billion world wide, the odds that the person getting on to the plane with me is one of the extremists, instead of one of the overwhelming majority of peaceful, harmless Muslims, is probably about the same as winning the lottery.

(* And just to point out that it isn't just Muslims who make me nervous, I took a trip about 6 months back, and on my plane was a Monk. Really, honest to goodness. Dressed in Monks robes, tied with a rope around the waste, wearing sandals on his feet and carrying no worldly possessions. And his presence made me nervous. I think in the current climate of fear of travel, the different, the unusual, and that which we don't understand makes us all nervous. All the more reason to try to UNDERSTAND Muslims, rather than demonize them all for the actions of a few.)

Does any of this excuse what was done by some extremist members of the Muslim religion? No. But Timothy McVeigh was (as I recall) a Christian, and we don't condemn all Christians for the horror at the Murrah building in Oklahoma City. The same courtesy should be extended to the millions of Muslims quietly living out their daily lives, just as horrified that this act was undertaken in the name of their religion as Christians are that the Crusades and the Inquisition was undertaken in the name of theirs.

Copyright (c) June 30, 2005 by Liam Johnson. http://www.liamjohnson.net

4 Comments:

Blogger Ralph said...

I had not heard about this project but is sounds very constructive. Clearly we need to develop confidence in muslim immigrants and citizens fully embracing this country and part of that process is being open and accepting. What is troubling, however, are the cases where Imams are fundraising for terrorists, the religious schools teach hate from Wahabi texts, and and American citizens travel to Pakistan to learn terror as we have 30 miles from here. I hope these things are aberations but it is hard not to be suspicious at best and fearful.

Friday, July 01, 2005 12:40:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

I agree, but... How many of those stories are real? Sure, we've all heard them, but I hear more of them through the rumor mill than through legitimate news sources.

I know in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, we did a lot of looking at Muslims in this country, and passed laws allowing the detention of people who "supported terrorism" even if all they did was give money to a charity and were un-aware that that charity did some amount of work that we might consider "terrorist related".

The other argument I hear a lot is "Why aren't Muslim leaders publicly denouncing the attacks?" I think in the Muslim mind set, to do such a thing simply because they are Muslims actually requires a certain amount of culpability. I think most Muslim Americans are outraged about 9/11 just like most non-Muslim Americans are, but their argument is "Why am I responsible for standing up and apologizing for it? They hit my country too!"

So it isn't that I disbelieve you, Ralph, but can you point to some confirmed sources for these charges, rather than just the rumor mill? Because in my mind, I find it hard to separate the facts on this matter from the things that "everyone knows", which everyone knows have a tendency to be wrong as often as they are right.

Liam.

Friday, July 01, 2005 8:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Ralph said...

Check out the investigation of the Lodi father and son in the Sacramento Bee.

Friday, July 01, 2005 10:34:00 AM

 
Blogger Ross said...

I was slightly surprised that you weren't aware of the connections between Judaism and Islam. In Genesis, Abraham had two sons: Ishmael, the son of Sarah's handmaiden, was the elder boy, and is considered to be the ancestor of the Bedouins and Arabs; and Isaac, the son of Sarah, was the younger, and of course continued the Jewish lineage. So the centuries of friction between Arabs and Israelis are really due to sibling rivalry. (funny, but contains a grain of truth.)

But on reflection I guess I can see why this fact has always been known to me but might not be generally known. Growing up as I did in the Jewish community, the welfare of Israel as a nation, and its recurring friction and wars with the Arab nations around it, was always kept in view. Also, when learning Bible stories in Hebrew school, naturally the stories of Genesis and Exodus are what are taught first and foremost; whereas I can imagine that in Christian religious education they are deemphasised, with the Gospels taking priority.

Just my take on it; an interesting sideline to the main thrust of your column.

Friday, July 01, 2005 1:10:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education