A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Scary things tucked away in the Patriot Act

When you get a chance, Google for "House Report 109-333 - USA PATRIOT IMPROVEMENT AND REAUTHORIZATION ACT OF 2005", and then scan down to section 605.

Here's one link to it, for the lazy, although I'd prefer you find it yourself so you know I'm not pointing you to some bogus site. (link)

This small item tucked away in the re-authorization of the Patriot Act creates a permanent police force to be known as the "United States Secret Service Uniformed Division".

It's jurisdiction is, for the most part, where you'd expect the Secret Service, providing protection: At the White House, Treasury Building, anywhere the President or Vice President and their families happen to be, etc. Also included in their jurisdiction is "An event designated as a special event of national significance." The referenced statute defining such a "special event of national significance" says that this is any event so designated by the President, who is supposed to provide a report to Congress each year on what events during the previous year were so designated and why.

It goes on to say that this new force is authorized to make arrests without warrant for any offense against the United States committed in their presence, or for any felony cognizable under the laws of the United States if they have reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing such felony (bolding is mine)

There is no definition provided for "offense against the United States". What might qualify? Burning a flag? Protesting an unpopular policy? Disagreeing with the President?

As with so many things, it is possible that this is simply a poorly worded bill with good and reasonable intent. However, as phrased, it essentially creates a private Presidential police force, that he can send anywhere he deems appropriate, and that can arrest people without warrant on the basis of suspicion of committing undefined offenses against the United States, which presumably the President also gets to define.

In the wrong hands, this could be used to designate an anti-war rally as a "special event" and dissenting speech as "giving aid or comfort to the enemy" and therefore an "offense against the United States".

In a country where an American citizen can be arrested and held without trial or charges for about three years (in blatent violation of that citizen's Constitutionally guaranteed rights, and if you don't know what I'm talking about, read my previous writings about Jose Padilla), this is eerily reminiscent of something the politburo in the old Soviet Union might have had.

Liam.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ken Grandlund said...

This is the kind of crap we never hear about. Thanks for digging it up. I plan to share this info with a few other blogs I know.

I doubt that the wording is ambiguous out of carelessness or even oversight. I think this is another example of not being clear simply so that whomever is pulling the strings can have a little more power to pull out when things aren't going their way.

If the Patriot Act is needed to keep America safe from foreign enemies, why is so much of it aimed at Americans?

Friday, February 03, 2006 1:19:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on this find.

Friday, February 03, 2006 1:47:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Yeah, I agree, Ken.

I've said before, one of my biggest PERSONAL complaints about this President and this Administration isn't just what they do, but that they've led me to such a jaded position that I no longer find ANYTHING impossible to believe.

This is not a position I relish, because I don't like being a conspiracy theorist. I don't like being forced into the same world that includes people who claim unidentified agents driving black SUVs follow people and intimidate them for expressing their opinions or researching inconvenient facts.

Because once you descend into that world, you can never be sure what the motivation behind such a little provision as this one is. Is it tucked away and hidden as a way to create a secret police force? Or is it a minor reorganization of the Secret Service, completely benign and without ulterior motive?

I honestly don't know, but far too often when I've given the Administration the benefit of the doubt on initially hearing a story about them, they've disappointed me. I find I can't automatically give them that benefit any more.

And thus, my descent into the world of tinfoil hats and Area 51.

Liam.

P.S. There's a guy who lives in a town near mine. His name is John Heartson. I was reading over his story recently at the behest of a conspiracy-minded friend, and it struck me what a fine line there is between (what I believe is) healthy skepticism of the current Federal government and a clinical need for anti-psychotic medication. (Not to say Mr. Heartson needs medication, but his story does sound a bit... hard to believe.)

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:45:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

For those interested in reading Mr. Heartson's story, his page is here.

I make no claims about the veracity of his information, I just thought that since I referred to him, I should probably provide a link.

Liam.

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:50:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education