A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Hmmmmm.

I saw an article today that the Army is now offering enlistments of as short as 15 months, to try to entice more people to join.

How, exactly, is this going to help swell the ranks, when most of us know at least one person who is "over there" for longer than their tour of duty was supposed to be, having been kept beyond their term of service?

I can certainly see why, in the current political climate, there might be some trouble recruiting, but until signing up for a specific time frame really means at the end of it, your time will be up, I don't see how offering shorter stints will entice anyone.

Just my initial thoughts on the matter.

Liam.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

15 months?
How stupid do they think we are?
What makes them think anyone is going to believe them?

They must be looking for REALLY stupid recruits. Someone would have to have an IQ of minus 100 for them to buy that one.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 8:19:00 PM

 
Blogger Ralph said...

Where was the article? Do you have a link?

Monday, May 16, 2005 12:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Unfortunately, I don't. It was in a newspaper I was reading over the weekend while in Burlington, VT. (Technically, I guess, when I said I saw the article "today" it had actually been "yesterday").

Anyway, I'm not even certain which newspaper it was, although it was a mainstream one (maybe Burlington Times or something).

I'm running late this morning, but I'll take a look later today and see if I can find it on line.

Liam.

Monday, May 16, 2005 7:00:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Ralph,

This isn't the article I read, but here's a link to an article from Friday in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-05-13-army-short-tour_x.htm.

Liam.

Monday, May 16, 2005 9:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Ralph said...

Thanks.
Looks like the Army is trying to diversify its product line. Never hurts to try new ideas.

Monday, May 16, 2005 11:35:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Yeah, it's not a bad idea. The only problem is that most people will recognize that the Army doesn't have the ability to make that deal.

Sort of like if an accounting firm were to start advertising that they could cut your taxes in half. Sure, they can fill out the forms indicating you owe half what you previously did, but it may not be legal, and the IRS may come back and say "Um, no. You owe us more."

In the same light, what's the use of the Army offering shorter terms of service when someone else can just jump up and say "Oh, but we're extending all of your tours of duty."

Those automatic extensions always felt to me a bit like indentured servitude.

Liam.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 8:58:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education