A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Defense of being a Catholic

We all wear a string of definitions, whether we like them or not. We slowly, from the time we are young, add one on top of the other. Occasionally, they are contradictions of each other, but more often all are based on a moral principle that we could state if we were asked. Often, we don't even know that we had or have a position on something until a situation arises. Someone says something and inside a voice suddenly whispers or screams, “NO”. And if we look further, we can find the reason for the no, but often we just accept that this is how we feel.

My definitions are (in no particular order) Catholic, Wife, Mother, Daughter, Friend Granddaughter, Sister, Anti-Abortion, etc. etc. etc. You can guess some of the etc.... Like that I am against the use of Capital Punishments, but probably not all of them, like I think that some sort of same sex union should be available.

I treasure my values. It is exciting to teach my morals to my children and see when they really, really understand them. I cherish my relationship with God. While I am Catholic, I have no issue with anyone of other religions. I will listen to the guy who knocks on my door, concerned about my relationship with Christ. I will tolerate being called a Fornicator by the guy on the soapbox in front of the Student Union. I have no problem with Kosher food, and my OB is Muslim, a talented physician.

But, I am Catholic. It means so much to me. Confession, Communion, all that standing and kneeling and sitting, that is me. I have more children than you probably do. I don't use birth control, and I won't. My other OB, the one I had to see in case mine isn't available for the birth is as far as I can tell a wonderful physician, but he doesn't seem to respect my Catholicism. He has asked me three times if I wanted my tubes tied during the birth of my next child. (No, No, and No). I explained that I was Catholic, but he suggested that rules were made to be broken. I explained that I was a devout Catholic, but he suggested that I had fulfilled my obligation with the two that I have plus the one that I'm baking now. Then, I just settled on a firm “No”. I am astounded that I had to go this far with him. That I had to go this far actually makes me a tiny bit nervous about the C-Section. I'm having my Muslim doctor watch out for my fertility.

I've seen more and more of this from more and more fronts. Since the humiliating facts surrounding both the behavior of a small number of priests who victimized young boys, and the cover up which it seems was known by a large portion of the hierarchy of my Church, it seems that it is OK with the community to do a bit of Catholic bashing without concern that someone might be offended. Or, perhaps they don't care.

Here is my defense. There is a large part of the population of the Catholic community in the US that has decided to be selectively Catholic. Church when they feel like it, abortion if it is 'necessary', divorce if explainable, living together if they are in love, and birth control. To my own shame, I have turned my back against some of the teachings of the Church, but I repented. I regret the mistakes I've made. I don't walk around thinking that I am better than anyone who has chosen to ignore a teaching that is inconvenient. but please, lets not assume that because one person has, that all Catholics are comfortable with it.

All of the teachings are rather sound in principle. I didn't always feel that way, and it took a book about Jewish people to convince me of it. The book was discussing the practice of separate Kitchens for dairy and meat in Jewish households, also the practice of keeping Kosher when eating meat. Most of the practices of keeping Kosher are designed (according to this Rabbi) to make the eating of meat a bit sacred. The fact that an animal has to be killed (and all killing has an impact slightly violent on the person who does it), and these practices are designed to keep the killing evident (much like tuna in a can keeps the death of an animal so distant). Before I read this, I was stumped by the labor intesive practices of keeping Kosher. It helped me to understand more of the practices of the Catholic Church. I may not currently understand the teaching, but if I ask (usually my Dad) I can find out (or he can for me).

For an example, lets get back to birth control. The act of SEX in all its sweaty fun, is an act of love designed to create life. To put artifical birth control in the picture takes this reality away, makes sex something that is potientially praticed between strangers, something that needs accessories, something to be watched... certainly nothing sacred. To take away the sacredness of sex, is to cheapen the potiential of what it can be, especially between married persons. I don't judge, I understand that another baby can wreck all the plans of the family. We are rarely in the position that one more child won't put everything back into the air, even for those of means.

Natural Family Planning is a way around that. And, for the most part, it works. Keeping you child free when you desire so, and child filled when you desire that. But, it takes the ultimate decisions out of your hands. You can find yourself pregnant when you didn't intend. You can find your life turned upside down in the best possible way when you didn't expect it. And you can trust that God won't let you down.

Copyright (c) June 22, 2005 by Janet Johnson. http://liam-and-janet.blogspot.com

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bit meandering but very interesting. You mentioned that some sort of same sex union should be available; and your reason for thinking it should be available is to protect homosexuality, promote it, condone it, or some other reason?

Thursday, June 23, 2005 9:25:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment... I know it was rambling, but my thoughts don't usually form in a straight line, and there is so much that I feel needs to be included even if it seems not to matter. I should never be an editor!
I certainly don't want to protect homosexuality. It is an alternative lifestyle that causes too much pain, mostly for the homosexual himself. No, I want to offer the homosexual some sort of way of becomming compliant to society. Some sort of way of becomming less deviant, in order to offer what they have to offer to society. By existing on the fringes, they are forced to live in a completely amoral society. I look at it like couples divorcing and then remarrying and living together. It isn't moral, it isn't the right way of doing things, but it is an accepted way of living, not biblical, but accepted.

I didn't choose to be divorced. I didn't choose to be a single parent (which is a dangerous place for children). I did my best to make the situation as closely resemble a healthy first time marriage, but it is so complicated. Still, the world accepts that I am doing my best for myslef and my children. They allow me a place. For a homosexual, there isn't much in the way of options like i had. They didn't necessarily choose the sexual orientation. If I shun them, then I am not giving them any place to go but to the most deviant dregs (not only, but for the most part).

I don't know of any part of the bible that says that I am to treat homosexuals as second class citizens. I am trying to act Christian here, as odd as it seems.

Thursday, June 23, 2005 11:51:00 AM

 
Blogger the Witch said...

Wow, I agree with a lot of your ideas. I'm a Catholic single mother who teaches in a Catholic school. I am a buffet Catholic, picking from the offerings of the religion. Having grown up w/gay family members, I just can't find it in my heart to "think Catholic" regarding homosexuals. You're quite special NOT treating them as 2nd class. How rare.

Thursday, June 23, 2005 2:55:00 PM

 
Blogger Ross said...

And you can trust that God won't let you down.

Please forgive me, but I have a problem with this last line of your entry. Certainly, you can place your trust in God. But He might let you down anyway.

Think of all the childless folk out there who might rather not be. Think of the folk who have had enough children, maybe too many. Think of the poor tortured woman who thinks she's had enough children but her husband disagrees.

I could trot out more examples, or even flesh out the bare lines I've just given, but the arguments are old and still not solved, and one more blog comment isn't going to help. But my point is, that if childbearing and childrearing is holy, and I sort of agree it is or at least should be, why shouldn't we take more responsibility for it and more control of it?

Friday, June 24, 2005 10:56:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should take more control of it. Please re-read the lst part of Janet's blog about taking the sacredness out of sex when you use artificial means. The Pope says some of the same things in his encyclicals.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:10:00 AM

 
Blogger Ross said...

Ah, thanks for the reminder. I guess that's the sticking point for me -- I don't see the sacredness of sex per se, it's bringing new life that seems sacred to me.

When procreation is the uncontrollable result of sex, then sex inherits the sacredness of procreation. When the connection between the two can be controlled, by grace of our God-given brains I might add, then sex loses its sacredness for me. Procreation retains it.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:19:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education