A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Monday, August 15, 2005

More Radio Stupidity

Wonderful...

As you know, I occasionally sample the various wing radios. A few weeks back, I reported on just how stupid I found the left wing stations at RadioPower.org. Tonight, I listened to Matt Drudge's radio program (there was a guest host).

Obviously, a lot of what they presented as obvious fact was far from obvious to me, but one moron caller really typified for me why the two sides will never see eye to eye. This person's call was about Cindy Sheehan. This caller had been to "protest the protest", and the majority of her complaint about the "Camp Casey" protest was taking down the liberals for not living up to conservative stereotypes of liberals.

For example, she spent several minutes ranting on how they (the Sheehan camp) were eating donuts and even offered some to the protest protesters. She said, with scorn in her voice, something like "I answered 'No thank you, I eat better than that'" and then went on to say "These are liberals! Shouldn't they be eating vegetables and tofu?"

That was it! Her prime complaint was that liberals might actually eat poorly and smoke, as if it's any kind of indictment that liberals might not all be the tree-hugging, tofu-eating nutcases the conservatives portray them as.

Now, to me, the hidden message is that a batch of people who are there to protest a war were actually so friendly, they offered to share their donuts with people who were there protesting the other side. Maybe not a huge story, but had I been involved, I would have said "Well, I still disagree with them, but I have to give them credit, they were nice, happy to discuss with us, and even offered us a share of their snacks", not "Hey, some liberals they are, they weren't even eating tofu!".

This show seems to all be calls about Cindy Sheehan, which I suppose isn't a surprise, it's been a slow few news days as far as I can see from here on vacation. That said, if I hear one more person say that Cindy Sheehan has done "a complete 360" I'm going to scream. A quick note to the geometrically challenged: If you do a complete 360, you've done a loop and end up going in the same direction. If you want to claim someone has reversed themselves, the term is "a complete 180". And from what I've read, the idea that she's reversed herself only works if you selectively edit her statements from when she originally saw President Bush. But I'll do some more research on that and post on it separately.

Another stupidity: Someone who claimed that the liberals were undermining their own argument by paying their taxes. This person's argument was that our taxes pay for the war, if you don't support the war, you should protest by not paying your taxes, and so by doing so, you're proving you don't really support your own argument.

Stupidity.

Liam.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jake Porter said...

I always like to listen to the well informed callers on radio programs.

A lot has happened since Cindy first saw Mr. Bush.

I have also heard that the protesters protesting the protesters were brought in shown to the media and then left.

Monday, August 15, 2005 8:37:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education