A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Phone Banks in Force

Well, it appears as though Republican phone banks are out in force trying to assign the blame for failures in New Orleans to the local government, Governor Blanco and Mayer Nagen (both Democrats).

Why am I pretty sure it's a phone bank and not really legitimate calls?

Because one of my local talk shows that I listen to in the morning on my way in to work isn't available anywhere but here, and yet they received a call from someone who identified themselves as (I'm making up the name, because I didn't catch it, but the state is correct) "Ed in Virginia".

The substance of his call was "I want to know why the Mayor and the Governor dropped the ball so badly!". I remember thinking to myself "Odd, why would someone from VA be calling the show?"

I was then listening to a nationally syndicated left-wing radio show, hosted by a man named Thom Hartmann. He hosts a local show (not available on the internet or anywhere outside of Portland OR) in the morning and his nationally syndicated show in the afternoon. He mentioned during the national show having been surprise to receive during his morning show a call from someone in Virginia asking pretty much exactly the same question.

So tell me this, why are people from Virginia calling radio programs that they can't be listening to, can't be regular fans of, asking such a loaded question?

This can't be another Rovian tactic, can it? Rove, the man who helped defeat TX Governor Ann Richards by having a phone bank call voters and ask "If you knew that Gov. Richards was gay, would it affect your vote?". Gov. Richards is not gay, but that one poll convinced enough homophobes that she WAS to turn the tide of the election.

Tell me this: If the FACTS really support that the federal government did everything right and local government was entirely responsible for the failure, why resort to this level of tactic? If the truth is on your side, why can't you simply rely on thinking people everywhere getting the message out?

Liam.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well, you know that they are a well orginized, effective in what they attempt kind of admistration, too bad they didn't decide to help out those stranded sooner.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 2:11:00 PM

 
Blogger Ross said...

Helping out is not their agenda. It's not even in their best interests. Power is achieved and maintained by treading down the downtrodden; if Nature decides to help out, why not take advantage of it?

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 2:41:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

I heard another conspiracy theorist today point out that New Orleans is strongly Democrat, but most of the rest of Louisiana is more Republican, and so it's in the best interests of the Republican party to relocate as many people as possible to strongly red states.

They pointed out the following supposed facts, which I haven't confirmed:

1) Without New Orleans, Louisiana would be an overwhelmingly red state.

2) Refugees from NO are being relocated exclusively to strongly red states, never to swing states, so that if any choose to stay, they won't tilt the balance.

Not sure if these are true, but I'm having a bad day, so I'm going to report it anyway.

Will.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 3:25:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Bush did carry Louisiana twice. I know that Clinton carried it the year before W. ran. I don't think that the unemployed poor of New Orleans are a political threat to Bush. I seriouly don't know what to think.

I've read everything that I can on Bush and I can't figure it out. He runs for public office, yet doesn't seem to be for the public at all. He represents the interests of someone, but who that is is anyone's guess.

I want to know if the Governor of Mississippi was told to sign over the control of his troops and his police force before he was allowed Federal help? I know that the depth and bredth of the problem wasn't the same, but is that the requirement for Federal Assistance? Did New York state have to sign over control of it's National Guard before they received assistance? Is this something new?

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 5:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Wow, hon, we think alike. I wrote my post about whether Barbour was asked, or NYS/NYC were asked on 9/11 before reading this post.

Funny!

Liam.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 12:04:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education