A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

VoW: Friday Six Thirty p.m.

I have to also chime in and say that as of yesterday the information we
were getting was being given to us as facts. My husband works for the City
[office] with the police and DPW ... I can tell you that my husband
called me about the information he was given directly from a police
officer. In addition,several of us left LSU at 10:30 yesterday morning due
to the fears from a rumored uprising among the evacuees at LSU in addition
to the down town closings. Also -- it was confirmed that the Mayor closed
the governmental building and his own office for the SAFETY of those
working around the River Center. Furthermore - as an LSU employee I
received an e-mail from the Chancellor informing us that there was
confirmed civil unrest in Baton Rouge and to immediately keep all campus
buildings locked.

Since that time -- the news has repeatedly stated these rumors were not
true and the LSU Chancellor stated in a meeting today that it was untrue --
although at the time it was confirmed by the police to him. Even with
this said .. I have to tell you that I am still concerned. I am just
personally wondering how much is rumor and how much is trying to be
downplayed for PR and to prevent public panic. I can tell you that there
are things that have occurred that is not being reported -- these are
isolated incidents -- but they are not being reported and I just wonder if
there is the possibility of some things not being reported too. I do
realize that when minor things occur it can be exaggerated as it travels
through the community and by the time it reaches us it is blown way out of
proportion -- but -- we do know that it is indeed fact that the
governmental building employees were sent hom for safety reasons... that
alone raises concern for me.

I am so upset to hear about the people in New Orleans still stranded
without food and water. It absolutely breaks my heart to know that this is
not only happening in the United States -- but it is happening just down
the street from us .. in our own state. I feel completely helpless and
frustrated that it is taking so long for help to get there. There just
has to be more busses that could get there to get these people out .. or
planes or something.

Thanks [Name] for the e-mail yesterday. I personally would rather hear
everything .. the facts and the rumors both and then we can decide for
ourselves what to do with that information.


[Name]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education