A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

VoW: Friday Six p.m.

Hey [names]! Just a note to let you know what is going on around here..unbelievable! I know you must be watching all of the chaos on TV. You just can't imagine. New Orleans has moved several thousand evacuees into Lake Charles ( and Lafayette & Shreveport & Baton Rouge ). The Civics Center is literally packed, I think about 3 or 4 thousand people. Yesterday they started moving people into the Burton Coliseum located on Gulf Hwy by the airport. Also moved people to S Cameron Hospital in lower Cameron parish. This town is bursting with people. Everywhere you go people are everywhere. Most of these people are lower income, on welfare and had no insurance. They have lost everything they own. They are putting their children in schools here and will be here for a while, maybe indefinitely. The crime rate has risen overnight, the police are working double shifts. It is all very sad.

I have been working like a turk here at [insurance company]. We have people coming in all day to file claims, but they are not sure how much damage they have or if they even have a home left. Some of them have no jobs to go back to. Many have told me they will relocate. This would have been a 3 day weekend for me, but I will probably work tomorrow & Monday. We can advance them $2500 , at least we can help them with that. The evacuees we are helping are all people who are staying with friends or relatives. It is mentally exhausting because your heart just breaks for them.

[Names A & B] are staying at a hotel here. They don't know about their home yet either. We have searched the net & keep finding info that [area] did not get flooded. I hope that info is correct. But they do have large trees in their neighborhood and don't know about damage from the wind yet. I talked with [name B] again the afternoon. They call the local Sheriffs Dept daily and plan to take off as soon as they are let back in so they can access the damage. The word is that New Orleans is under orders that no one can return, however the outer parishes will be let back in sooner or later. [Names A & B] are handling it well, however they are very anxious as you can imagine. I feel so sorry for them because it could be us.

I know if I were you and watching what we are all seeing on TV, I would want to know a little more firsthand. Thought you might be interested. Hope this finds you & your families well and happy. Will keep you posted. I think I will go home and have a drink (or maybe two)!

Keep these people in your prayers. My love to you both, [Name]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education