A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A Note to Bill O’Reilly: Add Me To Your List. PLEASE.

[Note: I realize that in this post, I paraphrased Mr. O’Reilly’s remarks. So as not to open myself up to charges that I put words in his mouth, please visit his blog, on which you’ll find a link to the actual audio, posted November 14th. --Liam]

A few days ago, self-important gas bag Bill O’Reilly made a now infamous statement regarding San Francisco. Responding to the citizens there having rejected a new law to allow military recruitment in local public schools, he said that we should now declare San Francisco open to al Qaeda, and that if an attack happens there, the federal government should not respond or expend any effort on their behalf.

This is not unprecedented from Mr. O’Reilly, and so didn’t really merit comment. I seriously doubt that anyone with more than three firing neurons takes the man seriously, any more than they take Rush Limbaugh seriously when he reports Administration talking points that are in direct contradiction with the facts, nor Pat Robertson when he tells the people of Pennsylvania that they shouldn’t look to God in times of need, because they didn’t vote the way he (Robertson) thinks they should have.

However... Now O’Reilly has gone a step further. He has said that he plans to post a list of his political enemies on his site, http://www.billoreilly.com. This list will consist, among others, of the "left wing smear web sites" that spread "these lies" about him. Well, this isn’t a left-wing blog, and I don’t consider quoting people in context to be smearing, but any list of Bill O’Reilly’s enemies is company I very much want to be in. So I’ll make it easy.

To Bill (or his staff, I’m sure he can’t be bothered to actually do his own work on compiling this list): My name is Liam Johnson. I live in New Hampshire, and run this blog, http://www.liamjohnson.net.

Oh, and I think you’re an addle-brained gas bag, full of macho posturing but not man enough to face real challengers, resorting instead to inviting people on your show whom you know wouldn’t be willing to dignify a worm such as yourself, and then calling them "not man enough to appear on The Factor". All the while being yourself not man enough to invite on real challengers.

Just to be sure you know I belong on your list.

Good day, Sir.

Liam.

(For those who question my characterization of this blog, in my view it is a centrist blog seeking truth and a better America. Right now that path leads away from the Republicans. That any path away from Republicans is viewed by them as liberal can’t be helped.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

Well poop.

When I wrote this post, no one else (that I was aware of) had done this.

Now, apparently, everyone is doing it. How sad.

I suppose it was to be expected, and not a particularly original idea, but it was funnier when I wasn't just one of hundreds of sites doing it.

Liam.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

I decided to take it up another step. I wrote the following e-mail to Mr. O'Reilly at oreilly@foxnews.com:

I humbly submit my own blog, http://www.liamjohnson.net for consideration on The O'Reilly Factor list of "liberal smear sites".

I, personally, can think of no higher honor than to be listed among those who recognize the utter lack of logic, fact or reason on the incorrectly named "No Spin Zone".

Thank you,

Liam Johnson


I would certainly appreciate anyone who can think of another way to get me listed.

Liam.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:31:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Liam, you crack me up!

You really SHOULD have your own syndicated column, you know. The country needs you.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:23:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education