A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

John Edwards Answers My Question

[NOTE: I forgot to mention this, but this video was taped on December 26th in Laconia, NH. The occasion on which I spoke to Mitt Romney was on Sunday December 23rd at a small Italian restaurant the name of which (and the town of which) escapes me at the moment, but they serve wonderful Canolis! --Liam]

This week, I finally got a chance to ask my favorite question of two different candidates for President. John Edwards hit the ball out of the park and reaffirmed my opinion that he's the best man for the job.

My question varies depending on the day, because it's actually too large a question for even the longer answers of a question-and-answer campaign event, so there are slight differences to how I asked it.

Of Mitt Romney, I asked "Over the course of my lifetime, we've seen the balance of power in this nation shift, both in terms of tilting more towards the executive from the legislative and judicial branches, and also more towards the Federal government over the states. What is your opinion of this?" (Paraphrased, but that's the general gist)

Mr. Romney did a great job with the Federal vs State power, talking about how he agreed that far too many powers which should not be Federal powers have been usurped by the Federal government, and that we need to move to re-balance power along constitutional lines, returning power to the states when it clearly belongs there. He even quoted one of my favorite (and least well known) of the Bill of Rights, that powers not expressly granted to the Federal government by the Constitution belong with the states or with the people.

Where he did not do nearly as well, in my opinion, was on the Executive vs Legislative and Judicial question. He began his answer by saying that we've recently seen the Legislative and Judicial branches taking power AWAY from the Executive, and that this needs to stop, that we need the Executive to be strong.

Ladies and Gentlemen of my reading audience, I submit to you that at no time in my life time have we had a stronger Executive branch and a greater push to marginalize the co-equal branches of Congress and the Judiciary than we have had in the last seven years. So Mr. gets an A for his answer on Federal vs States, and an F on the three co-equal branches of the Federal government, for an overall C average.

Of Mr. Edwards, I asked the question somewhat differently, assuming that I already know what his opinion on the matter would be. It was something like "I'm not terribly much younger than you are, and over the course of my lifetime, we've seen the balance of power between the federal branches tilt further and further in the direction of the Executive Branch, against what the Constitution says if you actually read it. Do you think this is a bad thing, and if so, what kinds of specific things would you do as President to solve the problem?"

In my opinion, he hit the nail on the head. We videotaped the answer (on a digital camera, not a video camera, so the time was limited. I apologize if the video cuts out before the answer is done).

Here's the answer:



By the way, like Barack Obama, he stressed that he wants his advisers (cabinet and such) to be people who will challenge him, the best and brightest from both parties, because he feels a President works best when he is confronted with all sides of the issues, not just one. It is the strategy which worked so well for both Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, and which has been largely abandoned (in my opinion to horrible effect) by the George W. Bush administration. (I don't remember if that was part of the answer in the video or part of another answer.)

Enjoy.

Liam.

8 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

Looking through YouTube, I found this link to John Edwards' answer to a similar question back in October. Similar answer, but interesting to watch nonetheless.

Liam.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Oh, one more note before I fall asleep: I did not intentionally tape Edwards' answer and not Romney's. I had not planned on taping either as we believed my wife's camera took only silent movies. We discovered on Christmas afternoon that the videos she'd taken of the children sledding actually had sound, and so when I got selected to ask my question today at the event, she started taping.

I would like to have been able to show you Mr. Romney's answer as well, but unfortunately all I can do is rely on my impressions and my memory.

Liam.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 11:09:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your video, that was fun to watch, as well as the above link.

I admit to not following much of the candadacy so far. And I've not watched much of the candidates' responses to questions in local forums like that (probably because the campaigning hasn't reached my state yet due to primaries and caucuses). Watching your video, my first thought is why don't I remember seeing this fervor of his on national television? In your video, I liked seeing that he answers with gusto and provides reasons for his answers. Hopefully more of America will get to see that.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:40:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Yeah, it's definitely easier to get swept up in the whole thing here in NH and (I assume) in Iowa, where you can't walk down the street to grab lunch without bumping into a candidate and having your hand kissed or your baby shaken (ahem).

Your comment on the video is exactly why my wife and I have liked Edwards essentially from the first time we saw him, and why we decided it was very important that we take a more active role in vetting candidates and see as many of the candidates speak as possible, this time around.

Watching Edwards on the televised debates, he's calm and measured and a little bit boring, in my opinion. Obama does the "I'm mad as hell and not going to take it any more" thing so well that Edwards has to do something else to not be lumped together with Obama, to both men's political detriment (not that being lumped together is bad, only that you can see how the way people have sort of lumped Dodd and Biden together has marginalized them both, no one is really a strong supporter of either, because they can't really find much to differentiate them from each other).

I really wish I'd had an opportunity to see Hillary speak, but she did so many of her campaign events during the week (while I was at work) or on days we couldn't go. For instance, she spoke here about a mile from where I work last Saturday at 5:30... when I had to be an hour and a half away at 6:30 to pick up my kids from their flight in for the holidays.

But still, Edwards campaigns really well. He is passionate about the problems he sees and offers real, concrete solutions. In fact, he even has a booklet (I mean a 25-50 pager, not just the flyer they all have) in which he's written down his stances and plans for all of the current major issues. He gives it out at all of his campaign stops, because he points out how often candidates will tell you one thing in one area and a completely different thing in another area.

He said he wrote his answers down and is giving them out so that we can hold him to them (or at least have concrete evidence if he breaks them, instead of relying on vagueries of memory as to what he actually told us).

Really, of all of the candidates we've seen, he just comes across as the best man for the job (if you believe as I do that the most important issues facing our nation right now aren't gay marriage and Islamic terrorism but the very soul of our nation in the form of torture, lost civil liberties and the ever eroding checks and balances on any one branch of our government's power).

Liam.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:15:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting about his booklet. I've not heard of a candidate doing anything quite like that.
.... Hmmmm. Is that booklet available online perchance?

I'm guessing that Edwards would have a better chance at being elected President than his Democratic rivals if he were to make it through the quagmire of this part of the campaign to be the Democratic nominee. I think the Republican party has more to fear from Edwards than from Clinton or Obama. I think Edwards would be more electable at that stage.

I chuckled at your description of Obama. What little I see of him, he's always saying the system has to change without giving specifics as to how, and his broad-brush approach is unrealistic and a bit arrogant .... like an inexperienced child saying "Life's unfair, I'll just fix everything."

I do like Clinton, but not enough to trust her or to think she has a chance of surviving the national election battle she would be up against. She may well understand the political fight world better than the others; she may well understand the difficulties politics on Capitol Hill. She may be a sharp cookie. But I fear that when push comes to shove as the end of the election nears, she will be easily trounced. That would be a shame, because I think Edwards should be given the chance for the Presidency.

I do enjoy reading your insights.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:16:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

I agree, electability is key. I've read several recent sets of polls where they've matched up the likely Democratic winners (Clinton, Obama, Edwards) with the likely Republican winners (Giuliani, Romney, McCain, Huckabee).

In most of them, Clinton beats everyone except McCain, who beats here fairly decisively (I mean, a bit more than the margin of error of the poll).

Obama beats most but there are one or two that he is in a statistical dead heat with, which could go either way (say as in Florida in 2000 or Ohio in 2004).

Edwards, at least in the polls I've seen, beats them all.

Now, of course, a lot can (and will) change over the course of the next year. Polls as to who someone would vote for "if the election were held today" are rarely particularly predictive, because that doesn't account for six months of serious negative campaigning between the parties after they each have just the one candidate to focus on.

I'm not sure who has the most to lose, here. Obama likely will face a certain amount of racial campaigning in the south (like that guy, whose name escapes me, last year in Tennesee. Harold Ford, maybe? With the ads that subtly accused him of mysegination (inter-racial marriage), which may have cost him votes in some more racist communities).

Clinton will face a whole lot of "Do we really need 8 more years of Clinton in the White House?" ads, and for those who really did have a lot of Clinton fatigue, that could be almost as bad as having Jeb Bush on the Republican ballot. Plus, she'll probably face some subtle implications that a woman isn't ready to be truly tough as President, which again may cost her some votes among certain members of the "good ol' boys network".

What will Edwards face? Probably a lot more "He says he's for the people, but he pays $400 for a haircut" stuff, which can be effective but which is sort of status quo, and probably not any more apt to work than any other time it's been used.

So I really don't know. I'd like to think that he's either the most electable candidate or at least up there, but I'm still basing my choice on who I think will be the best person in the job.

Thanks for your comment, it's great to hash these things out sometimes!

Liam.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:38:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to be of service! lol

You must have been referring to this booklet I found online (a pdf file):

http://www.johnedwards.com/issues/plan-to-build-one-america.pdf

Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Liam said...

Yep, that looks very much like the document in question.

Sorry for missing that part of your reply, I should have looked for it myself. I'm not at all surprised he made it available in digital form.

Thanks for passing it along for everyone!

Liam.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:56:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education