A place for Liam to post essays, comments, diatribes and rants on life in general.

Those fond of Liam's humor essays, they have been moved here.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Good Deeds Make The Saint

[UPDATE: I've edited the last paragraph. My sister-in-law was kind enough to point out to me that it doesn't exactly say what I intended. Thanks, Cindy! --Liam.]

Next up: I was having a discussion with a friend at work today, and he said something that I thought was kind of profound, so I thought I'd repeat it here:

One of the differences between liberals and conservatives seems to be the way in which they view American greatness.

Liberals view America as great because of the great things we do.

Conservatives seem to view the things we do as great because of America's innate greatness.

As such, it seems contradictory to liberals that John McCain could support torture (tacitly, by voting against the bill banning it). President Bush seems perfectly comfortable casting us as the 'good guys' and the other guys as the 'evil doers', and thus has no moral compunction against doing things which, were they done to us or our citizens, would to him be further proof of their evil. Waterboarding as one example, but more recently, all of the high minded lectures to Russia about how in the 21st Century, nations simply do not invade other nations.

Meanwhile, liberals see evil acts as tarnishing America and noble acts enhancing her, and so they fight against improper behavior. They want us to follow our principles even when not doing so might be safer. They see wisdom in the words of Ben Franklin that those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither.

If this is an adequate description of the mindset of liberals vs conservatives, then in this, at least, I am clearly a liberal. I do not buy into the idea that there are people so good that evil acts done by them are forgivable and others so evil that even the most minor infraction is vile and heinous.

To think otherwise is to ensure there will always be warfare, because I guarantee you in any conflict between human beings, each side sees themselves as the good guys and the other guys as the bad guys, and if both sides hold the "my goodness justifies my behavior", then both sides will have atrocities committed against themselves and will perpetuate the battle, unwilling to let the "evil" other side get away with things they themselves have done.

And, I might add, I believe it's pretty clear that in this regard, Jesus held the "liberal" view. Turn the other cheek. Judge not lest ye be judged.

Any behavior which you have to know who initiated it before you decide how you feel about it should be a red flag for you.

On last example from the news tonight: If you, like Bill O'Reilly, loudly condemned Jamie Lynn Spears' parents for not raising her properly when she got pregnant last year, but consider that the pregnancy of Bristol Palin is a personal family matter, or even a blessing for the family, then you need to look again at your opinions.

Ultimately, to me, behavior defines a person. Virtuous behavior defines a good person, immoral behavior defines a bad person. It may be easier to forgive bad behavior in an otherwise virtuous person, but that doesn't mean the bad act suddenly becomes a good act, it simply makes it an anomaly.

Liam.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you saying that:

Liberals view America as great because of the great things we do.

Conservatives view America as great, no matter what Americans do?

Interesting discussion.

There is arrogance in that view that America is great no matter what they do. Along with that is a sense of political entitlement.

I often think of conservatives as those who think "me, me" whereas liberals think of "us." But the "us" usually means a select few. The trouble is that conservatives subvert this view by saying "if I do good well, eventually you will too." My brother was attracted to that view and at one point became more conservative and was also attracted to the Republican party. But he became disillusioned when he felt that he wasn't going to do any better simply by waiting for someone higher up to keep doing well.

I'm sure it's all more complicated than this. But I enjoy your posts because they make me think.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:40:00 AM

 
Blogger Liam said...

I want to say I'm not sure I did a fair thing by ascribing those views to liberals and conservatives.

In fairness, there are people on both sides that think both ways, but it certainly feels like the prevailing attitudes on both sides are as I've described them.

I know it's not unanimous, though, because as I've said, I'm quite conservative on some issues (fiscally, for example), and yet I still subscribe to the "deeds, not words" philosophy.

But, this philosophical difference goes a long way towards figuring out why people (particularly, in my opinion, on the right) are willing to forgive behaviors among their philosophical brethren that they strongly condemn in others.

Thanks, Linda!

Liam.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:54:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Career Education